Diabetes or diabetes mellitus is a disease tormenting many these days. The advent of modern technology and craze for high profile life style is the root of several serious ailments including diabetes. The patient suffering from diabetes has an increased glucose level in blood. Our food intake supplies us with carbohydrates which get converted in to glucose. The hormone insulin secreted by pancreas breaks down the glucose and aids the metabolic process by making the glucose enter in to body cells and energizing the body as a whole.
When the cells of the pancreas become incapable of producing sufficient insulin or when body cells become resistant to insulin, glucose collects in blood and soon the level shoots up resulting in diabetes. There are three major types of diabetes: Type1, Type2 and Gestational diabetes. Type1 diabetes occurs when the amount of insulin produced by pancreas falls short of the body’s requirement of insulin. Type2 diabetes occurs when body cells become non-responsive to insulin or do not take in insulin in the amount they should have taken in.
Gestational diabetes is the result of pregnancy. Glucose levels in blood rise during pregnancy in some women. Heredity, obesity, stress, over-intake of carbohydrates, nutritional deficiencies, and any other disease causing damage to pancreas are diabetes-triggering factors. Diabetes needs timely diagnosis and treatment, or else it may cause serious damage to heart, kidney, eyes, liver and nervous system.
1. Frequent urination
2. Increased hunger
3. Increased thirst
5. Loss of weight
6. Blurry vision
9. Yellowish urine with a sweet acidic odor
10. Itching around genitals
Herbal treatment for diabetes
Nature gives us a wide range of herbs that may be used to treat diabetes the natural ways. Some of the herbs may be listed as follows.
1. Onion and garlic have excellent sugar-reducing properties.
2. Bitter melon or balsam pear juice supplies the body with insulin like polypeptide-p and thereby lowers blood sugar.
3. Fenugreek seeds, rich in nicotinic acids and alkaloid trigoneline, prove very effective in treating diabetes.
4. The holy basil is a highly beneficial herb in treating diabetes.
5. Ivy gourd leaf extracts are quite effective in treating retinal disorders due to diabetes.
6. Fully grown curry leaves are an effective cure for congenital diabetes and obesity.
7. Indian gooseberry juice is a pancreas stimulating drink. It stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin.
8. Butea leaf extracts are useful in lowering sugar levels in blood.
9. Cinnamon is an effective herb for managing diabetes.
10. Powdered, dry mango leaves may be taken in empty stomach for controlling diabetes.